Who is the beauty leader that has shaped the makeup artistry industry with the makeup no-makeup look? Bobbi Brown. She’s inspired countless women and makeup wearers all over the world and has changed the way the world sees beauty. Living a multi-dynamic lifestyle as wife, mother, and business woman then becoming a creator, author, and activist, she’s empowered women by making makeup easy to understand.
At The Makeup Show held this week in NYC, Brown spoke to both seasoned and up-and-coming beauty specialists about life, business, and making your mark on beauty.
In a one-hour open mic discussion, Bobbi intimately shared her life story of self-reflection, success, business, and beauty, and included current and future projects.
Here’s her condensed #hacks and philosophies on making it in the world of beauty.
Tips to build your makeup artistry connections.
- Networking. The word may have a negative connotation, but it’s all about relationships; they take time.
- Be curious about people, ask questions—you never know what will happen.
- Get some mentoring.
- Learn by watching!
- See agents, but leave the expectations behind.
How to gain exposure in the makeup artistry business.
- Use Instagram or Pinterest like it’s your own magazine.
- Let people see who you are on these social media platforms (IG, Pinterest).
- Don’t be afraid to show what you like visually.
What your best makeup kit should look like.
- It must be clean. Makeup palettes, supplies, and brushes need to be clean.
- No clutter! You don't need as much as you think you do. Mix, blend, improvise, and figure it out.
- Browns are essentials. You don't need 15 shades of brown, you need one good one.
Key products to keep in your kit.
- The basics.
- Foundation pallet.
- Perfect brown pencil/shadow; you can mix it.
- Shine, shimmer, sparkle.
What about trends?
- Trends come and go ... it's great to not do the same thing every day.
- It’s not trends that matter but how you incorporate them.
- What is your version of the trend? Communicate that.
When seeking inspiration.
- Stay curious.
- Look at other areas.
- Watch movies for ideas.
- Read. Learn about makeup artists in the 80s and 90s.
How to get un-stuck.
- It will get hard. Look at what you can do, not what you can’t do.
- If it’s a financial issue, there are things you can do. Be resourceful and look for something else to do. (Bobbi worked in a salon during downtime.)
- Exercise and eat foods that are good for you.
- When having a bad moment, you’re probably exhausted—take a break. Take an emotional break.
- Water! Drink lots of it, and no coffee consumption in the afternoon.
- Get oxygen in your body. Exercise every day, even if it’s for only 20 minutes.
- Consider the foods you put in your body: Fuel your body properly.
How to do business and still be present as a mom.
- It’s not easy, but it is doable.
- Remember, the power you have as mom is amazing.
- Don't stress if you don't get enough sleep on a particular night, because you'll sleep well the next night!
- You can’t do everything. Prioritize. Decide what you can keep and what you can let go of.
- Whatever goes through your mind at night, write it down and look at it in the morning.
Bobbi’s approach to writing books.
- Collect photos first then write the book.
- Have an idea.
- Have an outline.
- Have photos.
- You can have a publisher or not.
What Bobbi looks for when hiring.
- Good energy.
- Easy person.
- People that are nice.
Bobbi’s secret path to success?
- She didn’t have one! But don't overthink it, keep doing it (what you like), with one foot in front of the other.
- Believe! Bobbi’s approach: "Never think something is not going to work out."
Bobbi’s Words of Wisdom.
- "Be yourself" first; give yourself permission to be who you are.
- Insecurity is normal. You may get insulted; just go on. You can’t absorb negative energy from other people.
- Be nice to everyone.
- Be open to the world—you never know what comes out of anything.
About The Makeup Show NYC
The Makeup Show is owned and produced by Metropolitan Event & Production and travels from LA, NYC, Chicago, Dallas, and Orlando. Bringing each destination over 60 beauty brands, and unique convergence of artists and community, where beauty professionals are sure to find an artistic energy that will inspire any beauty buff, from the passionate beginner to the seasoned professional. The show provides a unique experience for the makeup professional to network directly from the best in the business. You can also stay up to date on the hottest show news on Instagram, Facebook, Twitter, and YouTube.
Cherie Buziak is the owner of product development firm BeautyEdge LLC, a beauty product development and advisory consultancy that helps companies bring products to market with speed, creativity, and impact. Expert services range from start to finish product development, brand strategy, marketing, leveraging best in class technology, trends, and advisement. Contact firstname.lastname@example.org